What was the last thing you did for play or fun?


Get Drunk

When I was younger, as now, I could not stand the taste of alcohol. But back then, on a few occasions, I forced some down just to fit in. I usually just got a little buzz… a warm feeling in the ears, a lightness in my step, etc…

I didn’t like it. I didn’t like the feeling of not being in complete control of myself. I like my inhibitions. I don’t want to lose them. I stopped drinking the minute I felt any of the effects.

Except once, when I decided to keep going and see what all of the fuss was about. I didn’t get stupid drunk, but I was definitely under the influence. I could not have driven. I’ll admit that it made my body feel nice… it took away some pains that I’d gotten so used to that I forgot what it was supposed to feel like without those pains.

But mainly I remember being very tired, paranoid, and sick to my stomach. I remember that I was with a group of friends, and I just wanted them to leave so I could go to sleep. I was worried that I wouldn’t be sober by the time I had to go to work the next day.

And then came the hangover. I spent the next morning curled up on the bathroom floor, rising only occasionally to puke, then going back to the floor. I did end up missing work the next day.

I will never drink so much again. I will have a glass of champagne or wine in a social setting, and that’s it. Never enough to have any noticeable effect on me.

I frequently hear young people talk about how excited they are to “go out and get wasted” every weekend. I don’t get it. To me, it sounds like they’re saying, “I want to go out and spend a lot of money and time giving myself food poisoning!”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIME AND DEDICATION

YOU HAVE TO RELIVE AN ENTIRE YEAR OF YOUR LIFE, WHICH YEAR WOULD YOU PICK, AND WHAT WOULD DO DIFFERENTLY

"Buhari Never Embezzled Public Funds," Declares Akpabio: A Look at the Claim and its Context