Have you ever unintentionally broken the law?


I was in High School at the time a City Bus strike was taking place public buses were running for weeks. One day my friends and I missed the school bus so we decided to hitchhike home. I was standing near the road with my thumb out when the blue light of a police car started flashing. Too late. He saw me. I had just tried to catch a ride home with the police.

"Oh no," I thought. "This can’t be good." The officer pulled up to us, stopped, got out of his car,r and walked up to me. Feeling like a fugitive, he asked for my name and where I lived. Pulling out his notebook, he started to write me a ticket! The officer also wanted to know what my address was.

We lived in the country and always used our mailing address for everything, never our street address. I started giving him my P.O. Box number when he interrupted saying, "So, you live in a mailbox?" I felt foolish then. He got my info, tore the ticket off, handed it to me,e and left. Now I was a criminal. Not only that, my mom was stewing about paying the fine on the ticket. Since when did hitchhiking become a crime I wondered?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIME AND DEDICATION

YOU HAVE TO RELIVE AN ENTIRE YEAR OF YOUR LIFE, WHICH YEAR WOULD YOU PICK, AND WHAT WOULD DO DIFFERENTLY

"Buhari Never Embezzled Public Funds," Declares Akpabio: A Look at the Claim and its Context