What’s something most people don’t understand?


little bit of a suspicion that I was very different from a lot of people. I’d be obsessive if I lost something; I would have very intense, short bursts of random but specialized interests. I’d feel like crying if things got too loud, I couldn’t always tell how people were feeling, but I thought everyone felt that way.

I mentioned something about it to my friends, and they said that they didn’t ever get like that. I put it out of my mind until I saw an ad for a test one day. It was an autism test by either a reputable university or autism organization (not Autism Speaks, I don’t remember exactly what it was). I thought it would be interesting to take even though I obviously didn’t have it.

They had a scale from 0–38; 30–38 meaning that you likely have autism.

I got a 29.5.

I was a little upset when I realized that if I would have known sooner, I could have gotten something in my GIEP. I’m too neurotypical to be seen as autistic by some people, but too “off” to be considered normal to others. I realized that why I like movies is because I can study them. I can notice behavior patterns and understand them, or learn empathy, or just feel better about myself. I had no clue I was doing it until I finally put a name to what I was feeling.

I hope people don’t think I’m sharing this for attention. I just wish that people understood why I didn’t get that one joke or that the lights really are too bright. It’s like I’m trying to straddle two sides of a cliff, and I’m just trying not to fall into the ravine.want to learn more

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIME AND DEDICATION

YOU HAVE TO RELIVE AN ENTIRE YEAR OF YOUR LIFE, WHICH YEAR WOULD YOU PICK, AND WHAT WOULD DO DIFFERENTLY

"Buhari Never Embezzled Public Funds," Declares Akpabio: A Look at the Claim and its Context